Sunday, June 29, 2008

Making bread

I love to cook. For years, it was all about desserts. And recently it has been German food. Unfortunately, my German potato salad never turned out as good as Siegfrieds. But soon I am going to make my own sauerkraut, which I have a real obsession with. But my new found love is bread. So I made Todd call his mother, Ingrid last night and get me her famous bread recipe. When I got home from church today, my nephews Spencer, Benson and I had a go at it.



Benson helped me add the ingredients


Spencer helped me knead it

Then we had to wait for it to bake...

Spencer watched while I took it out

and gave it a smell to see if it was done


Then we ate it! (P.S. That's my sis Becca if you don't know)


Everyone thought it tasted really good. Here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a try:

2 TBSP yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup sugar

Let it sit until it gets foamy. Then add:

2 2/3 cup warm water
1 TBSP salt
3 TBSP wheat gluten
3 TBSP shortening
3 TBSP honey
5 cups of whole red wheat flour
2 cups of whole wheat flour

Stir, stir, stir

Spread, in increments, 1 cup of flour on a clean countertop and knead the dough until smooth. Put a little oil in the bowl and put the dough back in. Flip the bread over so it is all covered in a light layer of oil. Cover with a towel and let raise for up to one hour. Punch the dough down and divide it into two big loafs or 3 medium loafs. Butter pans and put the dough in. Let it rise again. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

So, here's what else is on my mind these days. Public, or as any free marketeer or libertarian would call it, government school. I hope politics interests anyone and everyone who reads my blogs. Cause I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it. I am going to post my concerns/positions tomorrow maybe, but trying to figure out how to get the pictures on this post and make them look good enough, pretty much drained me and I have a paper to write.

Happy 1st birthday Xander Beck! I had a blast at your birthday party today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun Tiffers! Did ya save me some? hee hee! Love ya!

mama cow said...

Hey Tiff this is Beccas most awesome friend Heather. I like to make bread too. However I use my mixer but it turns out super super yummy. Yours looks good too. Tell Becca I said Hi!

Rhonda said...

Hey I think I gave you the idea to make bread but it is ok I still love you. It looks yummy and what handsome wonderful help. Keep on baking.

thejindras said...

You ARE an exellent cook and you always have the most wonderful good looking help. :)

Gina said...

Fun stuff!

Meredith said...

I'm amazed at how patient you are. You not only made bread, but you made it with little boys helping you! Seriously, I could not do that. On another note, I know nothing about politics, but I think you're swell, so I will gladly read your opinions and then feel stupid about my lack of knowledge.

Anonymous said...

those are the two cutiest boys in the world. I am not just saying that. I really believe it.
I can't wait to hear your opinion on politics so that I can disagree with it ! )