Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy and Heartbroken

Let's start with the good, which may also show up later as the bad.

I am finishing up my undergraduate degree this summer as well as starting into my graduate program. It's thrilling and scary to finally be done and get a job that actually pays me some money. Speaking of jobs, I got one! I will be working in a self-contained unit at an elementary school in the school district where I grew up. I was really nervous I wouldn't pass the Praxis, but I actually did pretty well, so I can rest easy about keeping the job I just got.

I also just changed the channel to an Alaska documentary, which makes me slightly happy. Oh, and Becca and the boys got to come visit for almost two weeks and it was really nice to have them staying at the house.

And that's about it on the happy front. It's exciting to feel like a real grownup.

On to the bad stuff.

I'm really nervous about my first year of teaching. I'm sure everyone feels like they just aren't going to cut it, and I'm no exception. Hopefully I will figure it all out with little effort. I'm also scared to be teaching my first year and going to grad school. I'm not sure I can cut it. At this point, I'm not sure why I applied for grad school. And when I got accepted, I'm not sure why I accepted the acceptance.

I'm sad to be leaving Bekah too. I'm hoping I can find time to work with her next school year. I have been working with her for 9 years now. She's one of my best friends and I am so used to seeing her a couple times a week.

So there is the update on my life. Hope you enjoy it.

10 comments:

Charlotte said...

Well congrats on the graduation and the job and grad school. I'm sure it will be a great (howbeit busy) year for you!!

Sorry about the breakup. That sucks.

Mom at Our House said...

You are to hard on yourself, you are going to be a great teacher. You have done a great job with Bekah and you have been a TA for years.

I am glad to hear you finally got your praxis results back and of course you passed, I never doubted you.

I love you and miss you!

Meredith said...

You'll be great as a teacher! And grad school for the win! It will be awesome to have the kids call you "Master" when you finish. Wait, do people do that? They should. People who get doctorates are called doctors.

Anyhow, hugs, kisses, and happy thoughts coming at you from Virginia!

Summer & Rich said...

I do enjoy your update. Although I knew all but that you passed the Praxis. I am so happy for you CONGRATS!!! You are going to be a wonderful teacher and will do great in Grad school just as you have always done in school. I love you lots

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

The first year of teaching is very scary, but I'm sure you'll do great. It only gets easier. Good luck in grad school too! I wish I'd done that.
Hope you are feeling happier soon too. We'll be thinking of you.

Shay, Chelsea and Jonas Allen said...

I know you'll be an awesome teacher...I am basing this knowledge on several firm pieces of evidence: 1) Jonas really likes you and feels comfortable around you, even though he doesn't see you a lot. This is unusual. 2) You have a mind like a steel trap. For example, you know all sorts of random celebrities and their names and info about them. I find it to be very awe inspiring. 3) You are so empathetic, and I think that's what these kids need--someone who understands them and cares about their needs so darn much. 4) You are super cute. It's statistically been shown that hot teachers do better than the uggos. Those kids of yours are some lucky bugs, I tell you what. And I'd like to offer any services I can, such as helping you decorate your classroom...or stuff like that. Also, I can call you multiple times a day to make up for the fact that you don't talk to Eric anymore. Perhaps you laughed when you read that. However, I really (sadly) could do that--just ask my mom and dad, they will vouch. SO just let me know! Loves!

Brenda said...

Good luck with teaching. I am sure you will do great. Glad to get an update.

SuperSpencer said...

Tiff! I'm so glad you got your job! I knew you'd do awesome! You'll have to text me and fill me in where you'll be! Don't worry about your first year because honestly nobody does fabulous their first year (you witnessed mine!) and you live and learn. Particularly with special ed there is no tried and true method, just experimenting with possibilities and going with your gut. You've got the love and that's number 1 in my opinion. You have a talent and don't ever doubt that!

thejindras said...

You will be a wonderful wonderful teacher Tiffany. Those kids are lucky to be getting such a wonderful teacher! I love you and i'm so proud of you!

Rhonda said...

I love you and know you will be a super teacher. I know you will be great and I am proud of you. Sorry about your boyfriend. I know it hurts but I hope you know I love you.