Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Master of the Universe

I presented my Master's thesis this week and I don't think I have been so nervous in my entire life. I am such a procrastinator, and every semester, every new project, I think, I am going to get started early this time and finish well in advance. Yeeeeah, right. I did everything last minute, which isn't to say I didn't work hard. I would guess I put in at least 50 hours worth of work, but it was 50 hours within a two week time span instead of four. And then I had two weeks where I had nothing to do but wait, because my committee needed to look over my materials. I planned to write out what I wanted to say word for word, podcast it and listen to every day. And I did. But I did it two days before my presentation. So, naturally my heart was pounding come Tuesday. I got to the U an hour and a half before my presentation and sat in the student lounge rehearsing my lines. (My presentation had to be at least an hour long). I felt confident with the material, but was terrified I would forget what I wanted to say and have to look at my notes. I took 15 kava pills within a 2 hour time span before the presentation and they always work, but not today. So, I ended up taking a quarter of a xanax 30 minutes before my presentation.

All went well. I didn't need to look at my notes and I felt a rush of emotions when after being ushered out so my committee could discuss, John opened the door and reached out his hand with a smile on his face and said "Congratulations!". It felt so wonderful. I woke up on Wednesday morning with the most wonderful feeling. Nothing. I had nothing to worry about that day. Nothing that had to get done. Freedom. And now, my room is finally clean-ish. I have too much and need to go through everything and just get rid of a lot of it. I've also spent a bit of time at school getting stuff ready for next school year.

I leave for Peru on July 6. I am beyond excited. Ecstatic maybe? Visiting Macchu Picchu has been on my top 3 list since I was 17 years old. I just hope I can soak everything up. I am not nervous or scared, only that I might forget to see something. After Peru, a trip to Vegas with the gals. And then Monterey, California to hang out with Summer and Rich until I absolutely have to be back.

I sound falsely upbeat, like maybe I am trying to hard to be happy. But I'm pretty sure I'm sincerely this happy right now. Either that, or I am such a good liar, I have even tricked myself.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I am eternally grateful that I didn't have to do anything like that to get my master's degree. You are super awesome, and I'm way proud of you!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Tiffany, that is so great. What a wonderful accomplishment. Something I have always hoped to do, maybe someday I will become Master too! Enjoy your vacations.

The Sanders said...

Wow...what a great achievement! Congrats...and I am so jealous of your travels! Have fun and again great job!

Mom at Our House said...

congrats master pig! We are all so proud of you! We are going to miss you like crazy while you are gone this summer.