Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Am Legend

I Am Legend I Am Legend by Richard Matheson


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
First off, I loved the movie before I read this book. Now, I simply cannot love the movie. It completely changed the message that the book conveyed. Literally, it's the exact opposite message. Argghhh! Why does Hollywood have to do that?!



Anyway, I didn't like the character Robert Neville in the beginning. I can appreciate a sane person and I can appreciate an insane person. What I can't appreciate is a person who is sane one moment and insane the next. However, after really trying to understand the character and get into his head, I realize it is probably exactly how a man would work being in the situation he was in. I still got frustrated at times though.



I don't want to give anything away, but I loved the end of the book. I would suggest to anyone who loved the movie to read the book, so you can understand what the author was really trying to get at. And if you hated the movie, you should read the book, cause more than likely you'll love it since it's the exact opposite of the book.



It shows a side of our society that we don't often contemplate (e.g. what "normal" is and what is acceptable and why) and makes us more aware of it.


View all my reviews.

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

Hmmm, I will have to read it and see what I think. I liked the message in the movie, so now I am curious as to what is changed in the book. Maybe I will put a hold in my library today.

Anonymous said...

that is exactly what I thought of the book also. It is definitely different then the movie, I wonder if that made the author of the book mad?

GordonTucker said...

I did like the movie, I guess I'll have to try the book

Rhonda said...

I guess I will have to read it. Do you own it?

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I will have to look at the book too. I actually like the alternate ending to the movie much more than the actual ending. I thought the actual ending wasn't really how it should happen. Maybe the book goes more along the alternate ending lines.

brooke said...

brady hated the book, i guess he's relates more with the guy who comes off conqueror. I can't read it or watch the movie. I would pee my pants, and then have nightmares.

Summer & Rich said...

babe it has been almost a month since the last blog!!!!!! We need more news and gossip. lots of love