Friday, October 24, 2008

The Eight Styles of Learning

I took the test/quiz/??? that Gina mentioned on her blog from the Learning Disabilities Resource Community. Here's the website, as I don't know how to link it up: http://ldrc.ca/projects/miinventory/. The test you take will assess which learning styles suit you best.

Since studying Special Education at the U, I have become fascinated with people and how they function best. I enjoy my one on one time with my students and figuring out that Student A works best with tactile things (I.e. Writing his spelling words in shaving cream) while Student B works best when he learns things through music or silly rhymes. It caused me to reflect on myself and how I work. I took a quiz in one of my classes and among the categories of Supporter, Analyst, Achiever and Manipulator, I scored the highest in Achiever (with Manipulator in a close second). Apparently, I like to work alone, cause I know my work will be better (or at least I think so) than if I have someone else trying to help me. I also don't need other people's approval, because I trust my opinion that I am doing a fine job. And it is true, as conceited as it sounds. Also, lately I had been pondering on how I learn best, and decided it was through hands on work. I learn better by performing in a real situation and modeling, than I do any other way. With this quiz, I was pretty even across the board, but I was a little higher in Intrapersonal. It goes along with my Achiever style, but I don't know about the hands on part. Maybe?

LinguisticLinguistic=2727
MathematicsMathematics=3232
Visual/SpatialVisual/Spatial=2323
Body/KinestheticBody/Kinesthetic=3333
NaturalisticNaturalistic=3232
MusicMusic=3434
InterpersonalInterpersonal=3131
IntrapersonalIntrapersonal=4141


Intrapersonal Learner

* likes to: work alone and pursue own interests.
* is good at: understanding self, focusing inward on feelings/dreams, following instincts, pursuing interests/goals and being original.
* learns best by: working alone, individualized projects, self-paced instruction and having own space.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Yay for being the first one to actually post it! Man, I love you and I wish we could see you this December.

Anonymous said...

I took the quiz too. I haven't decided if I will post it yet. So you know if you highlight the word that you want to make a link then click on the little thing that looks like a world that is how you create a link.

Tiffany said...

Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Rhonda said...

Maybe I will try to take it when I am not working 2 jobs.