Monday, July 21, 2008

Michael Savages thoughts on autism

So, I did not listen to Michael Savage today or yesterday or whenever this aired; in fact, I haven't listened to him in years. But apparently within the last couple of days he said that nearly every child with autism is just “a brat who hasn’t been told to cut the act out."

He actually believes this and does not plan to apoligize. He also said “My main point remains true. It is an overdiagnosed medical condition. In my readings, there is no definitive medical diagnosis for autism... 99% of the cases of autism are a result of lax parenting. They don’t have a father around to tell them: ‘Don’t act like a moron. You’ll get nowhere in life.”

As for what he believes children with autism should be hearing, he said they should be told, “ ‘Straighten up. Act like a man. Don’t sit there crying and screaming, idiot.’ ”

Savage's program, Savage Nation, is heard nationally on more than 350 stations.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a man who is thought to be smart enough to host his own radio show would believe this! Basically, what he’s doing is parroting what used to be said about autism 40 years ago, back in the heyday of Freudian analysis. It was blamed on bad parenting. Mothers were said to be "refrigerator moms" who showed no emotion toward their kids. There was no evidence to support this and I am sure any level headed person would agree that it is ridiculous.

I work with children with autism and it is an insult to me and it is an insult to every parent I know and care about who have a child with autism. It is telling these parents who I see try so hard to do what is best for their child and struggle so much in the process, that they are terrible parents.

It makes me so angry. I want to punch his face off.

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

I agree. I have always thought Savage was a moron, though. My sister has taught autistic classrooms for years and her students include the children of mayors, doctors, and the like who are great parents. Savage spends his life TRYING to be a uninformed JERK. The sick part is that enough people find him entertaining enough to keep listening.

Anonymous said...

A. I think he gets listeners off shock value of saying things like this.
B. How does he explain one autistic kid in a family of 5 non-autistic kids? Does he think the parents were good parents to the rest of the kids and just neglected the one?
C. I think he is just trying to get free publicity and get people talking about him by saying outrageous statements. (Oh crap it worked, I am talking about him)

Brenda said...

Does Savage have any kids? What an idot! I can't listen to him at all, he drives me crazy.

SuperSpencer said...

For real? What an....

Kalli said...

I love you and want to punch his face off with you!

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

I just now read your post and I am as livid as you. I'm proud of my 2 sisters for chiming in though and protecting my "children". It is people like him who need to spend one day in a classroom like ours. I heard a 5th grader outside my room one day, making fun of my students. I found out his name, talked to his teacher and he had to give up recess for a week to spend time helping the kids he was previously mocking. He ended up spending much more time than his alloted week because he enjoyed it so much. Savage is ignorant and he can shove it as far as I'm concerned.

Miss Tinselly said...

you go girl :)
I totally agree with you. I work with several autistic kids. They are awesome kids with awesome parents..."refrigerator mom" is a bunch of BS